Happy World Vegan Month!
Here are 30 reasons to try Veganism, one for each day in November:
1. Raising and slaughtering animals at the current rate of consume demand requires horrific, inhumane, torturous practices that cause immense suffering of billions of animals a year.
2. We will need 1.5 to 2 earths in order to sustain the resources necessary for livestock production.
3. The majority of antibiotics used in the United States (70-80%) is given to healthy animals on factory farms to prevent infections and avoid financial loss. Because of this, antibiotics are losing the power to destroy bacteria and causing 2 million people to become infected by a superbug infection and 23,000 to die each year of it.
4. Vegan food is culinarily exciting, delicious, and offers infinite versatility.
5. First, do no harm. Eating vegan realizes compassion and the idea of paying it forward.
6. Veganism is no longer a niche, trend, or fad. It is a growing awakening that is spreading globally with ample momentum.
7. There is no valid excuse against going vegan.
8. You don’t have to worry about cross-contamination in your kitchen when you don’t include animal products. You can stick to one cutting board without worrying about salmonella or campylobacter, etc.
9. Vegans tend to statistically have a lower risk for overweight and obesity than meat-eaters. (Here, here, and here.)
10. Plant foods have greater nutrient density (more nutrients per calorie) than animal products.
11. Plant foods have fiber and help you full faster, for longer, and for fewer calories. Animal products have zero fiber.
12. Vegans have a lower rate of mortality than meat-eaters.
13. Vegans have a lower risk of ischemic heart disease than meat-eaters.
14. Vegan restaurants and menu choices are growing and growing exponentially.
15. Instead of choosing between cow and goat milk, you can choose from milks made from hemp, oat, almond, soy, rice, coconut, and more.
16. About 65-90% of the population is lactose intolerant.
17. The number one cause of climate change is livestock production.
18. Crowding out the animal products means more phytochemicals and other healthful nutrients that come from plants. We all need to eat more fruits and vegetables.
19. Veganism is fun!
20. A vegan diet is the only diet ever found to reverse disease!
21. The American Heart Association recommends a saturated fatty acid intake of no more than 5-6% of total calories. A vegan diet averages 5-6%. Add in a single serving of animal products and it tips you past the safety margin for a heart healthy diet.
22. We could save billions and billions of tax payer dollars on healthcare by going vegan.
23. High milk intake is associated with higher mortality and higher fracture incidence.
24. Animal products contain disease-promoting compounds such as heme iron, IGF-1, other hormones and steroids, Neu5Gc, and carnitine.
25. Animal products develop carcinogenic compounds when cooked, such as advanced glycation end products, heterocyclic amines, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
26. You can reverse type 2 diabetes with a vegan diet.
27. Vegans have better cholesterol profiles than meat-eaters.
28. There is no such thing as humane meat.
29. We have always thrived on a plant-based diet throughout history.
30. We inherently, naturally, and at our core love animals and know it is not right to eat them.